Monday, May 21, 2012

Where I spent last week...

I spent all of last week being a counsellor at WES Camp (Whiskeytown Environmental School Camp) for a group of eight rowdy and rambunctious 5th grade boys!

My daughter's school, Manzanita Elementary School, sends their 5th grade class to WES Camp for a whole week every year.  With over 120 kids going this year they needed a lot of counsellors to make sure these said kids stay alive :) so I volunteered...

I was assigned a cabin full of eight rowdy and rambunctious 5th grade boys...

My cabin, Cabin 10 (dubbed Haleakala), became a place where my profession and the real world collided... and I learned a thing or two about who I am and how God sees me.

These boys and the staff at WES Camp, none of whom I knew before this trip, each in their own way confirmed what I have known in my heart about myself but never really truly believed.

Some things God has shown and confirmed within me last week;

  1. We live in a fallen world
  2. God brings people into our lives who need Him
  3. God's creation is wondrous to behold if we just take the time to see
  4. Being a part of God's plan even if I don't see it at the time is spectacular
  5. Bringing hope into a child's life is breathtaking
  6. Speaking words of affirmation to a child who has never heard them before is amazing
  7. The human touch is powerful
  8. God really can hear silent prayers
  9. God really does care for everybody
  10. A lot of people are lost and lonely
There is no way I can relay to you (or even remember) all of the God Moments that happened at camp. But what really sticks out in my mind is this:  I am surrounded by followers of Christ on a daily basis... I am a children's pastor and work at a church for crying out loud.  When I am taken out of the 'Christian Bubble' and placed in the 'Real World' I am confronted with the reality of a fallen world.  I am confronted with children who are not loved by their parents.  I am confronted with children who are severely depressed.  I am confronted with children who have parents who are drug users and pushers.  I am confronted with the result of a fallen world... and my heart breaks.

God confirmed in my heart last week something that I have been wrestling with for a while now.  He confirmed to me that I am not doing all I can to reflect His light into this dark and lonely world.  For too long I have been living in my 'Christian Bubble'... content to go about my day living in denial, when all around me... in my own city, in my daughter's school, are hurting, lonely, dying children and families who desperately need Jesus.

Last week I had a chance to share the light that Jesus has given me to a small cabin of eight rowdy and rambunctious 5th grade boys.  By letting the Holy Spirit work through me I was able to bring some of the hope and affirmation that Jesus has given me to a few children.

Thank you Jesus for using me last week.  Help me to let you use me more for your glory.

This week, let God use you to shine His light into your areas of influence.  Ask Him to bring people to you who need Jesus... but be careful, because if you ask Him to do this... He will :) Because the truth is, all of us are surrounded by hurting people.  Ask God to let you see through His eyes for a bit.  I think you may be surprised by what you see.

On this journey with you,

Pastor Beau



No comments:

Post a Comment