Thursday, December 6, 2012

What Would God Like For Christmas?


What Would God Like For Christmas?

I can remember being little and actually losing sleep while trying to decide what I wanted for Christmas. Everybody seemed to ask me what I wanted, but it was my grandparents who were especially inquisitive.  “Do you want a new bike? How about a chemistry set? Star Wars? Here, take this Sears Wishbook and mark what you want.”  Later I realized why they did this. It was not because I deserved gifts, it was because they loved me. They desired to give me a gift to express how much they cherished me...a tangible token of their love.

Flash forward thirty years. While Christmas still holds a very special place in my heart, Christmas gifting has taken on new meaning.  I still like getting gifts, but now I find great joy in giving gifts, especially to my kids...not because they deserve them, but because I love them.  I desire to give them gifts to express how much I cherish them...tangible tokens of my love.

If we give gifts to those we love because we want them to KNOW how much we love them, I wonder what we would give God for Christmas? Don't we love Him? Shouldn't we desire to give Him a gift to express how much we cherish Him...a tangible token of our love?

2000 years ago God gave us a gift, not because we deserved it, but because He loved us. God desired to give us a gift to express how much He cherished us...a tangible token of His love.  So, it seems to me the only gift that could possibly express how much we cherish God is to give Him ourselves as tangible tokens of our love for Him.

Why not give God the only gift He ever wanted...yourself?
Pastor Beau

No comments:

Post a Comment