Friday, March 2, 2012

Not too young to teach or too old to learn...

My son is 6.  I'm a bit older than 6.  And yet, what I learned from him yesterday was huge.

Wilson got three cavities filled, yesterday.  Not one, or two... but three.  The days leading up to his appointment he had heard dentist horror stories from his sister (thanks Madison), the "good luck and hope you live" wishes from his friends at school, and the "you're going to be just fine" from his mother and hypocritically from me.

A little back story on me is in order, I suppose.  I had a few really bad experiences at the dentist when I was younger... and those experiences and residual fears that resulted have followed me into my adulthood.  Even though I tell myself that I'm a big boy now, that the dentist isn't out to hurt me, and that all he really wants to do is help me... I still get sweaty palms just thinking about it... Sheesh, my grandfather was even a dentist.  He was loved by all and even though I never got to be a patient of his, he wasn't a scary grandpa so I'm pretty sure he wasn't a scary dentist either.  And yet dentists still scare me.

Deep down I know that dentists are good people :)  And there comes a point in every father's life when he has to put childish fears aside in order to not influence his child's impression of a given experience.  To say that another way... I don't want Wilson (or Madison for that matter) to be scared of somebody who is clearly God's chosen way to help fix our teeth, even though I am...

The night before, during our nightly prayer time I asked Wilson if he was nervous about his visit the next morning.  He told me that he was and then I asked him if he wanted to pray about it.  As I prayed for courage and peace for Wilson I couldn't help but pray the same for myself.

In the morning on the way to the dentist I asked Wilson if he was still nervous.  He looked at me and said. "Why would I be, dad?  We prayed right?"

Wow.
Yes, we did pray.

And just like that, he walked right in to that dentist's office and up on the table.  He wasn't scared in the least... because we had prayed for courage and peace... because he knew that God would grant him courage and peace if we asked for it... because Wilson believed whole heartily that God would do what He says.

Lord, help me have faith like my son.  Thank you that through our children we can become better followers of you.  Sometimes I forget that you are all powerful... help me to have faith like a child once again.

What can you learn from your children this week?

On the journey with you,

Pastor Beau

2 comments: