Wednesday, March 7, 2012

You mean we're THERE already?

This Saturday my daughter and I are going to our church's 7th Annual Father Daughter Feast.  This event is a great time for dads and daughters to eat spaghetti, laugh with each other, run in The Amazing Chase, and get their pictures taken.

Now, even though I'm the children's pastor, I have absolutely no part in preparing the feast or designing the activities.  This is by design... because for that particular night, I am not Pastor Beau... I'm Madison's dad and she gets my undivided attention for a full night.

With 6 years of Father Daughter Feasts behind us Madison and I have 6 different pictures, each depicting a special moment suspended in time.  As I was working today I began looking at some of these pictures and was struck by a reality that I didn't particularly like.

My little girl isn't so little anymore.

Next year Madison will be a 6th grader... I mean really, a 6th grader!  Am I really old enough to have a 6th grader for a daughter?!  For crying out loud, I still feel like a 6th grader... at least in my head :)

Now, if I sat down and really dwelt on the fact that Madison is getting older, if I allowed my mind to play
those slo-mo movies of good-times remembered, and if I listened to the nostalgic strains of my mind's melancholy violin... I could cry.  I could get sucked down a self-pity vortex that would taint the rest of my week... but I won't do that.

And here's why.

Yes, those are all good memories, and yes, I remember them and countless others fondly, and yes, my little girl is growing up quicker than I'd care to admit... but... even though the times we've shared together in the past were good, the times yet to come will be better.

I believe this with all my heart.

The older Madison gets the more I discover that I like who she is and who she is becoming.  No, she is no longer my little girl who needs me for every little thing, but she will never stop needing me for things only her daddy can give her:  Like unconditional love, and support during life's challenges.  Like guidance in relationships, and reassurance that God has a plan for her life.

But most importantly, no matter how old she is, she will always need me to be a good example of how to love God with all her heart, soul, and strength.

And while I strive to do that, with the help of the Holy Spirit, I am looking forward to the best times a dad and daughter can share!

Lord, please grant me the wisdom to know how to love, support, guide, and reassure my children.  Most importantly, help me to love You with all my heart, soul, and strength so my little big kids can look to me and see a good example of how to love You.  Amen.


Remember that you, the parent, are the most influential person in your child's life.  Make every decision with this in mind.

On the journey with you,

Pastor Beau



4 comments:

  1. You are so right, and we are CERTAINLY not old enough for our kids to be getting this old.....Keep the great advice flowing!
    ~Katie "Thurber" Tibbetts

    ReplyDelete
  2. God's timing is SO amazing. In our couples Bible study last night, the subject was Eli and his "worthless sons". During the discussion I brought up the time when your Mom told me that she had defended you and your long hair and said it was better to focus on the eternal rather than the temporal. What a blessing and testimony you have been. Keep up the good works "young" man! Mary Potter

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Katie - Great to hear from you! Hope everything is well with you and your beautiful family! And, no joke! It doesn't seem that long ago we were galavanting around good old Mt. Vista :) Oh well, we're only as old as we think we are, right? :)

    @Mary - My goodness it's great to hear from you! Thank you so much for your encouragement and support throughout the years :) Madison was just talking about the book you made for her when she was a baby...

    Beau

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome - hoping to win the great race again with Shelby

    ReplyDelete